FAQ - Experience Flight (Wings over Vancouver, Introductory Flight)

1How old do my children need to be to participate in an Experience flight?
We welcome children aged 12 years or older! Compass Flight’s expectation is that the parent/guardian is responsible for supervising their child and ensuring the facility is treated with respect. Airport rules must always be followed by parents/guardians and children. Airport rules may be given by any staff member at Compass Flight.
2My friend and I want to split the cost of an Experience flight, is this allowed?
The cost of the flight can be split as requested by guests. If a guest requests a seat change during an experience flight, we are happy to accommodate. Customers have the option of splitting the 1 hr of flight time into 2 x 30 minute segments for each customer (keeping in mind the time to land and take-off again cuts into the total flight time available) or they can choose to book an additional flight at the same price as the Introductory flight.
3I booked an Experience flight, do I need to bring anything or fill anything out?
We require you to wear closed toed shoes for you flight, this is to assist us with flight safety. We recommend bringing sunglasses, wearing comfortable clothing, and drinking lots of water prior to your flight. Executive Compass is experiencing a high volume of clients, and therefore you will be required to pay a $100 deposit to secure your booking. You need to sign the waiver before your flight at school.

FAQ - Flight Training

1How do I get started in flight training?
First, book an Introductory Flight. The introductory flight is a fun flight designed to introduce customers to aviation and flying. Customers / potential students requiring more information about flight training or aviation can book a FREE ‘INFO SESSION’ with our experienced Chief Flight Instructor who will be able to clarify any questions you might have.
2Are there any language requirements to become a pilot?
English is the official language of Aviation. Transport Canada requires all license holders to be assessed as “Expert” (ICOA Level 6) or “Operational” (ICAO Level 4 or 5). All Students that are not native speakers of English will need to pass an official aviation English test over the telephone with a language examiner. Don’t worry. The test is a discussion about everyday topics and there is no need to have any experience in aviation. No studying required!
3What kind of medical requirements do I need to be able to fly?
A valid medical certificate must be obtained from a Transport Canada Civil Aviation Medical Examiner. Students must hold a valid medical certificate before they can fly solo, however, a student is still able to begin their flight training with a flight instructor on board without a having a valid medical.
4What kind aircrafts does Executive Compass Flight Institute operate?
Executive Compass Flight Institute operates Cessna 172s and Piper Seneca II.
5What is the approximate cost to obtain a pilot’s license?
Cost varies from student to student and is typically estimated based on Transport Canada minimum requirements. Information regarding program costs can be found under our programs page. Please communicate with the Chief Flight Instructor for more detailed estimates of costs for your training plan.
6Am I too young or too old to learn how to fly?
You can start flying as early as 14 years old, obtain a Recreational Permit when you are 16, and your Private Pilot License at 17 years old. Commercially Licensed Pilots need to be 18 years of age and there are no maximum age limits for obtaining your pilot licence.
7Do I need to attend ground school?
Transport Canada requires license holders to complete ground school as part of their training. Students who enroll with Compass Flight will also be expected to complete Compass Flight’s ground school. Compass Flight provides online ground school with monthly in-person sessions.
8I finished training now what can I fly?
Your PPL licence will come with a blanket type rating allowing you to fly all single-engine non-high performance, land aircraft. Meaning you can fly any aircraft that only has one engine, is not classified as a high-performance aircraft and operates on land only, not water. Essentially, you will be able to fly a Cessna 150, 152, 172, Diamond DA-20, DA-40, Cherokee and Piper Warrior to name a few. Additionally, you can pursue aircraft specific type ratings for high performance aircraft or obtain your float rating if you want to operate on water.
9Can I ‘write-off’ flight training against my taxes?
Students enrolled in a flight training program can request a Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202a) from Compass Flight. This form allows you to write off your training on your personal taxes or transfer it to a parent. Please ask for more details, or review CRA Qualifying Student.To know if you qualify, you are: • “For a month in a tax year is, in the month [-] enrolled at a designated educational institution in a specified educational [program that provides that each student in the program spend not less than 12 hours in the month on courses in the program” • “Have reached the age of 16 years before the end of the year” • “Be enrolled in the program to obtain skills for, or improve the individual’s skills in, an occupation”
10I am enrolled in ECFI’s Commercial Pilot License program and want to time build; can I take an aircraft overnight?
Currently, Executive Compass Flight Institute will allow overnight rentals on a case-by-case basis only. Speak with our Chief Flight Instructor for more information.

FAQ - Other

1I am a pilot, can I rent your aircrafts?
Currently, Executive Compass Flight Institute is offering rentals on a case-by-case basis only. Due to limited aircraft availability, priority will be given to flight training students enrolled in our programs.